We’ve known the Trey Lance era was upon us for the San Francisco 49ers. But in a surprising move, the Niners announced on Monday that they were restructuring Jimmy Garoppolo’s deal to keep him around as the backup.
Given the success that Garoppolo has had under center for the 49ers over the past few years, you might think that Lance would be a little uncomfortable with the veteran breathing down his neck all year. But according to head coach Kyle Shanahan, Lance’s reaction was quite the opposite.
“When I told Trey that Jimmy’s going to come back, he’s like, ‘Awesome. That dude was awesome for me last year. I can’t wait to be the same way.’ ” Shanahan told reporters on Tuesday.
While Kyle Shanahan admitted that the rest of the league had an opportunity to trade for Garoppolo, he also maintained how excited he was that he’ll have Jimmy G as his backup for at least one more season.
It definitely feels like the Niners current situation came about because of the lack of interest from outside teams to acquire Jimmy Garoppolo as a starter. But perhaps this gives San Francisco a hedge option on Trey Lance, as well.
You know if the young quarterback struggles early on in the 2022 season, fans will be wondering if the team would be better off handing the reigns back to Jimmy Garoppolo.
🔥 Hot from Side Action 🔥
- Lala Anthony Blames Knicks for the ‘Demise of their Relationship’
- Ja Morant Being Linked to Singer Lotto’s Sister Brooklyn
- Rumor: Instagram Model ‘Ayyyejae’ Connected to Phoenix Suns Is Now Pregnant by NBA Player
- Rumor: Jalen Rose Spotted With New Girlfriend Angela Rye
- Spurs Josh Richardson is Dating Former America’s Next Top Model Runner-Up Tatiana Elizabeth