The Jimmy G era in San Fran is far from over.
The Niners backup QB was standing on the sideline completing his duties as the 49ers’ backup quarterback when Trey Lance went down with a season-ending injury in Week 2. Lance went down late in the first quarter of the 49ers’ 27-7 victory over the Seattle Seahawks on Sept. 18. Garoppolo stepped in and completed his first pass attempt to Brandon Aiyuk for a four-yard gain.
What crossed Garoppolo’s mind when Trey Lance went down with a season ending injury?
“I thought he got a concussion at first,” Garoppolo said on “The TK Show” podcast to The Athletic’s Tim Kawakami. “I thought it would be a couple of plays, and then actually [49ers reconditioning director] Ryan Donahue was next to me and he goes, ‘I think he dislocated his ankle.’
“That’s when it really hit me, OK, this will be more than a couple plays. That’s a weird situation. I’ve never been in that situation. I’ve been a backup for Tom [Brady]; Tom never got hurt. So, I never had to do that.”
“It happens so fast,” Garoppolo said. “And all of a sudden you’re out there, it’s third down. Thankfully, I hit on the first play and it woke me up a bit. Then after that, it’s just playing football.”
Garoppolo looks to be back to his winning ways as the Niners starting QB.
As far as what they do moving forward, that’s the million dollar question.
🔥 Hot from Side Action 🔥
- Lala Anthony Blames Knicks for the ‘Demise of their Relationship’
- Ja Morant Being Linked to Singer Lotto’s Sister Brooklyn
- Rumor: Instagram Model ‘Ayyyejae’ Connected to Phoenix Suns Is Now Pregnant by NBA Player
- Rumor: Jalen Rose Spotted With New Girlfriend Angela Rye
- Spurs Josh Richardson is Dating Former America’s Next Top Model Runner-Up Tatiana Elizabeth