Kyrie Irving continues to raise eyebrows.
The Brooklyn Nets superstar reportedly asked for several contractual guarantees, some of them showing just how out of touch he is with the reality of being a professional athlete. For one he didn’t want to have to make more than 60 appearances per season and he also asked to skip back-to-back games as part of his extension talks with the Brooklyn Nets.
Fox Sports’ Ric Bucher reported details about the negotiations Wednesday on his On The Ball podcast.
“[Nets governor] Joe Tsai has already shown he’s willing to play hardball with Kyrie by taking a max extension off the table almost immediately,” Bucher said. “Now, part of that may be Kyrie’s doing. I’m told he wanted his new contract to guarantee he wouldn’t have to play more than 60 games in a season and would not have to play any back-to-backs, which he apparently referred to as inhumane.”
Kyrie Irving wanted his new contract to guarantee he wouldn't have to play more than 60 games? https://t.co/s6GAZi652Q
— The Hooplife® Brand (@hooplifenews) August 11, 2022
Kyrie has only played more than 60 games once over the past five years. He was limited to 29 appearances during the 2021-22 season because he didn’t become a full-time player until the final stages of the campaign.
After his return to full-time status, Kyrie confirmed he hoped to re-sign with the Nets.
“I signed up for this for the long run,” he told reporters. “So I love this year. I’m grateful. It hasn’t been a prototypical year. But when I look at my teammates and where we are as an organization, I’m looking for the long run.”
The All-Star picked up the $36.9 million player option in his contract for 2022-23. He’ll become an unrestricted free agent next offseason if the two sides don’t agree to a new deal.
Kyrie clearly doesn’t love basketball as much as he should.
🔥 Hot from Side Action 🔥
- Paige Spiranac Rates Each Sport Based Off How Hard They Party
- Photo: Scottie Pippen Spotted With Young Mystery Woman Amid His Ex Larsa Getting ‘Handsy’ With Marcus Jordan
- Liangelo Ball Pictured Kissing New Girlfriend Miss Nikkii Baby Amid Signing Non Guaranteed Contract with Hornets
- Source: Kliff Kingsbury’s Girlfriend Telling People They Are Building a New House in the Valley With an Epic Roof Top Party Pad
- Timeline Dispute Surfaces in Video of Former Las Vegas Raiders Wide Receiver Henry Ruggs Doing Drills