Is Kyrie going to become a free agent?
Nets general manager Sean Marks made it sound like Brooklyn isn’t going to give Kyrie Irving any long term extension. The Nets are reportedly unwilling to offer him a long-term deal. Other teams reportedly believe Brooklyn is open to signing-and-trading Irving, with one potential trade partner appearing to be the Lakers.
But when push comes to shove it looks like Kyrie is going to opt in and take the guaranteed cash. .
Via New York Post:
“Irving has until June 29 to decide whether he will opt out of the final $36.5 million year of his contract for 2022-23 and become a free agent. But both Nets and league sources told The Post an extension is more likely.
If Irving opts in and signs an extension, his max over the next five years would be $240,077,441 (including $7,332,400 in incentives – the same incentives in his current contract).”
— New York Post (@nypost) June 7, 2022
Irving’s stock is at an all time low after he missed 53 games last season due to his decision not to get vaccinated.
Plus he’s a headache for the front office, and it might not be worth it to keep him on the team, especially considering just how much it will cost.
Kyrie is elite, but he brings way too much baggage with him.
🔥 Hot from Side Action 🔥
- Lala Anthony Blames Knicks for the ‘Demise of their Relationship’
- Ja Morant Being Linked to Singer Lotto’s Sister Brooklyn
- Rumor: Instagram Model ‘Ayyyejae’ Connected to Phoenix Suns Is Now Pregnant by NBA Player
- Rumor: Jalen Rose Spotted With New Girlfriend Angela Rye
- Spurs Josh Richardson is Dating Former America’s Next Top Model Runner-Up Tatiana Elizabeth