NFL legend Peyton Manning is probably still the most relevant athlete to come out of the Tennessee Volunteer’s program. Even though Manning left Tennessee in the late 90s, he remains an icon for those fans and carries a lot of weight with the football boosters. Hence, why he’s in the news today.
After it was announced that Tennessee fired coach Jeremy Pruitt earlier today, Bruce Feldman of FOX Sports reported that Peyton Manning will play a large role in finding their next head coach.
#Tennessee has fired Jeremy Pruitt. Once again, the Vols have a coaching search on their hands. Peyton Manning will have a big role in this decision, sources tell me. Here are the candidates we think they’ll consider: https://t.co/wyRhpYLrSq
— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) January 18, 2021
Peyton Manning does not have a great track record when giving coaching recommendations. Manning backed Adam Gase for the New York Jets, and also spoke highly of the Jeremy Pruitt hire when it was first announced.
“Hey, I’m telling you, the Vols are coming back,” Manning said at the time. “Jeremy Pruitt is the right guy leading the charge and I’m excited about Tennessee football.”
Pruitt will leave Knoxville with an overall record of 13-16, so it seems like Manning dropped the ball on that one.
I think adding Peyton Manning to the coaching search might just be a way for the Volunteers to convince a coach to actually take the job. It’s no secret that Tennessee has been bad for a long time, and they’re no where near being a threat in the SEC. If I’m a coach there’s no way I’m taking that job. Sounds like a dead end.
Maybe Peyton Manning can somehow help Tennessee bring the right guy in to run their program, but it seems like a rather tall task to me.
- Bruce Arians Fires Shot Across Patriots’ Bow
- Did MJ Cut Anthony Anderson Off Following Golf Defeat?
- Peyton Manning to Play Key Role in Tennessee Alma Mater’s Search for Head Coach
- Tiger Tales: Rachel Uchitel Details Alleged Affair
- Surprise Team Showing Deshaun Watson Interest?
- James and the Giant Tax Bill; Harden to Pay $13M After Trade
- Colin Cowherd Wants Nick Saban to Get an NFL Head Coaching Gig
🔥 Hot from Side Action 🔥
- Timeline Dispute Surfaces in Video of Former Las Vegas Raiders Wide Receiver Henry Ruggs Doing Drills
- Fox Sports’ Charissa Thompson Received Plenty of Attention on NFL Sunday For Her Multi-Colored Dress
- Cooper Rush’s Wife Reacts to Her ‘Daddy’ Getting Big Win While Replacing Dak Prescott as Cowboys Starter
- Rumor: Video of Niners QB Trey Lance Allegedly at the Strip Club Making it Rain Goes Viral
- IG Golf Influencer Paige Spiranac Forced To Delete Comments On Latest Video After Fat-Shaming Comments