The Olympics are all about those viral social media moments, and last night a star was born. Turkish volleyball player Zehra Gunes was trending following a quarterfinals loss to South Korea. Win or lose, it didn’t matter. Zehra quickly went viral and her Instagram page got bombarded with new followers.
Via NY Post:
The 22-year-old’s name began trending on Twitter amid the Turkish team’s nail-biting loss to South Korea Wednesday in the women’s volleyball quarterfinals. Turkey failed to punch a ticket to the semifinals after the two-hour and 17-minute match.
While fans praised Gunes for her performance in Tokyo and her overall skills, some were distracted by her striking appearance. One fan with a crush even declared, “Zehra Gunes marry me,” in reference to the 6-foot-6 Turkish athlete, who sports No. 18.
Gunes’ team shared a photo of the Olympic team with the caption, “We love you” after the tough loss.
— New York Post (@nypost) August 5, 2021
Probably won’t hear too much about her moving forward.
If she happens to be in the next Olympics, we’ll once again probably find her trending.
While we wait for her next Olympic appearance, check out more of the Turkish Volleyball player below:
🔥 Hot from Side Action 🔥
- Lala Anthony Blames Knicks for the ‘Demise of their Relationship’
- Ja Morant Being Linked to Singer Lotto’s Sister Brooklyn
- Rumor: Instagram Model ‘Ayyyejae’ Connected to Phoenix Suns Is Now Pregnant by NBA Player
- Rumor: Jalen Rose Spotted With New Girlfriend Angela Rye
- Spurs Josh Richardson is Dating Former America’s Next Top Model Runner-Up Tatiana Elizabeth