Another PGA star leaving for LIV.
The European Ryder Cup team announced Wednesday that Henrik Stenson has been stripped of his captain status ahead of the 2023 event. BBC Sport reported the decision comes amid rumors Stenson is all set to join LIV Golf.
“It is not possible for him to continue in the role of captain. His tenure as captain has been brought to an end with immediate effect,” Ryder Cup Europe said. “In light of decisions made by Henrik in relation to his personal circumstances, it has become clear that he will not be able to fulfill certain contractual obligations to Ryder Cup Europe.”
It's official: Henrik Stenson is no longer the 2023 European Ryder Cup captain. 👀 pic.twitter.com/1phShCsZrF
— Golf Digest (@GolfDigest) July 20, 2022
Stenson was announced as Europe’s new Ryder Cup captain in March and shot down speculation he’d consider jumping to a rival tour.
“There’s been a lot of speculation back and forth, but I am fully committed to the captaincy and to Ryder Cup Europe and the job at hand,” Stenson told reporters. “The captain does sign a contract. He’s the only one that does that.”
The Guardian reported the 46-year-old is indeed heading for LIV Golf, and he could debut as soon as next week in New Jersey after accepting a “lucrative offer.”
Money continues to talk.
🔥 Hot from Side Action 🔥
- Lala Anthony Blames Knicks for the ‘Demise of their Relationship’
- Ja Morant Being Linked to Singer Lotto’s Sister Brooklyn
- Rumor: Instagram Model ‘Ayyyejae’ Connected to Phoenix Suns Is Now Pregnant by NBA Player
- Rumor: Jalen Rose Spotted With New Girlfriend Angela Rye
- Spurs Josh Richardson is Dating Former America’s Next Top Model Runner-Up Tatiana Elizabeth