Deshaun Watson’s nightmare offseason continues. Nike has suspended its endorsement deal with Deshaun Watson amid the sexual assault and inappropriate behavior allegations made against the Houston Texans quarterback, the company told CNBC on Wednesday.
“We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and have suspended Deshaun Watson. We will continue to closely monitor the situation,” Nike said in a statement to CNBC.
Nike suspends endorsement of NFL star Deshaun Watson over sexual misconduct allegations https://t.co/EPMexk7nZm
— CNBC (@CNBC) April 7, 2021
The Houston Police Department tweeted on Friday that it has opened a criminal investigation after a complaint was filed against Watson.
— Houston Police (@houstonpolice) April 2, 2021
Watson also has endorsement deals with Beats by Dre but as of now they haven’t commented on their status with Watson.
“The brands are in a difficult situation right now,” said Scott Rosner, academic director of the sports management program at Columbia University. “There clearly will be public pressure as there typically is in these types of cases to disassociate themselves formally from the athlete. And some are likely to do that. Others will make a statement expressing concern but reiterating their belief in the legal process.”
It usually starts with one, a domino effect is certainly coming for Watson.
🔥 Hot from Side Action 🔥
- Lala Anthony Blames Knicks for the ‘Demise of their Relationship’
- Ja Morant Being Linked to Singer Lotto’s Sister Brooklyn
- Rumor: Instagram Model ‘Ayyyejae’ Connected to Phoenix Suns Is Now Pregnant by NBA Player
- Rumor: Jalen Rose Spotted With New Girlfriend Angela Rye
- Spurs Josh Richardson is Dating Former America’s Next Top Model Runner-Up Tatiana Elizabeth