Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen got in to a scary collision today at the Italian Grand Prix at Monza today.
Hamilton came out of pit lane and entered in to turn 1 when his wheels collided with Max Verstappen’s sending both to the dirt ending their races. While the collision itself didn’t looking too bad, especially since it happened as both were going much slower than if they had collided on a straight, it was the fact that Verstappen’s car drove on top of Hamilton’s.
In the last couple years, the ‘halo’ has been added to F1 race cars as a protection for drivers. Today, it may have saved Hamilton from a serious injury. The halo is the ring that looks like a roll bar around the head of the driver on the car.
Here is the accident:
You can also see how Verstappen’s wheel pretty much drives over Hamilton’s head. If there had been no halo there to serve as a barrier, the wheel could have seriously injured Hamilton.
🔥 Hot from Side Action 🔥
- Kayla Nicole Seemingly Responds to Wild Rumor About Her Breakup With Travis Kelce
- Johnny Manziel is Showing Off His Thonged Out Girlfriend Kenzie Werner in Vegas
- Sexy Flames Fans In Cowboy Hats Behind Oilers Bench During Game 5 Go Viral
- Kayla Nicole’s Cryptic Post Leads to More Travis Kelce Break Up Rumors
- Diddy’s Ex Sings About Having an Affair With NBA Player
Here is the picture of the car:
Verstappen was given a three-place grid penalty for causing the accident.
Hamilton reflected on the incident in a post on his Instagram stating that “the halo stopped the crash from being a lot worst.”
Daniel Ricciardo was able to win the Grand Prix, with teammate Lando Norris finishing second, followed by Valterri Bottas to round out the podium.
F1 will have next weekend off then heads to the Sochi Autodrome for the Russian Grand Prix.