Novak Djokovic is standing with the WTA regarding their decision in the aftermath of the Peng Shuai story.
Earlier in the week, the WTA announced they were boycotting events in China until they were certain that Shuai was safe. This comes after the Chinese player briefly went missing after accusing a local politician of sexual assault.
— Sportico (@Sportico) December 1, 2021
During his latest press conference, Novak Djokovic expressed his concern for Peng Shuai. And he also held firm that now is that time for all tennis players to “stand together” regarding the situation.
‘It's life of a tennis player that is in question here, so we, as the tennis community, need to stand together,’ Novak Djokovic said, after the Women's Tennis Association suspended all tournaments in China over concerns about the wellbeing of Peng Shuai https://t.co/zUwfxb12cA pic.twitter.com/IyEgo4j95t
— Reuters (@Reuters) December 2, 2021
Peng Shuai’s only appearance recently was a meeting with the IOC – where she maintained that she was safe and asked for privacy at this time.
At first, some committee members continued to express concern for her well being. But after talking it over, they now hold the belief that the veteran Chinese tennis player is ‘fine’.
“Their unanimous conclusion was that she was fine. And she just asked that her privacy be respected for the time being,” committee member Dick Pound said.
Clearly, the WTA is going to make sure they check every box before deeming Peng Shuai “fine”. And Novak Djokovic is now the highest profile player to come on board with that plan.
🔥 Hot from Side Action 🔥
- Kevin Durant Spotted in Saint Tropez Amid Retirement Talk
- Punt God Odds For Offensive Rookie of the Year Revealed
- Bet is Hitting An Astounding 82% During NFL Preseason
- Report: White Sox Manager Tony La Russa Had Two ‘Accidents’ in the Dugout Last Season
- Aidan Hutchinson DROY Bets Becoming Hot Wager After Eventful Week