Michael Jordan and NASCAR driver Denny Hamlin turned heads earlier in the year when they announced they’d be co-owning a team with Bubba Wallace as their first and only driver.
It’s been an up-and-down year for the “23XI” team, but on Monday, they were rewarded.
Bubba Wallace won his first ever NASCAR race, making him the first African-America driver to win since 1963.
Breaking: Bubba Wallace captures rain-shortened NASCAR race at Talladega.
He's the first Black driver to earn a Cup Series victory since 1963. pic.twitter.com/EDeDpnHRZG
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) October 4, 2021
After the race, Michael Jordan shared his own words of congratulations to his driver, Bubba Wallace.
🔥 Hot from Side Action 🔥
- Kliff Kingsbury Photographed with Girlfriend Veronica Bielik For the Very First Time
- Miles Bridges Wife’s Sister Likes Interesting Comment About Felony Domestic Violence Charge
- Jayson Tatum is Now Following NBA Girlfriend Mulan Hernandez
- LaMelo Ball Posts Rare Picture of His ‘Baby’ Ana Montana
- Dad Gets Caught Texting Escort While With His Daughter At White Sox Game
“I’m so happy for Bubba and our entire 23XI team,” MJ said in a statement. “This is a historic win for us. From the day we signed him, I knew Bubba had the talent to win and Denny and I could not be more proud of him. Lets Go!”
A few words from MJ on our first Cup Series win in team history. pic.twitter.com/J35urIAXEY
— 23XI Racing (@23XIRacing) October 5, 2021
Michael Jordan and the 23XI team announced recently that veteran driver Kurt Busch will be joining Bubba Wallace on the team next season.
Bubba’s win could be the first of many for MJ’s new NASCAR endeavor.