Star receiver Calvin Ridley found himself in hot water on Monday afternoon after it was announced by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell that he was set to be suspended for (at least) the entirety of next season for betting on games.
After going crazy viral, Ridley revealed that he was not a gambling addict, and hadn’t even bet more than $1,500 on games.
Calvin Ridley Responds To People Saying He Has A Gambling Problemhttps://t.co/xSRtq2SzgY
— SideAction (@SideActionHQ) March 7, 2022
How Was Calvin Ridley Busted?
NFL insider Mike Garafolo revealed that Calvin Ridley was caught betting by using his phone, through an outlet of one of the league’s sponsors.
“My understanding is Ridley used his phone to bet on games when he was away from the Falcons, to place parlay bets,” Garafolo said. “The NFL was made aware of it, conducted an investigation, and through their gambling partners were able to corroborate the information.”
From our breaking news coverage on @nflnetwork: The NFL made it clear they’d be able to work with their gambling partners to gather information on potential violations by players and team employees. That’s how Calvin Ridley was caught. pic.twitter.com/0437jOcovs
— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) March 7, 2022
SI’s Albert Breer would go on to reveal that all of Calvin Ridley’s bets were parlays, some of which including the Falcons to beat their opponent. He reportedly never bet against his own team to win.
🔥 Hot from Side Action 🔥
- Kayla Nicole Seemingly Responds to Wild Rumor About Her Breakup With Travis Kelce
- Johnny Manziel is Showing Off His Thonged Out Girlfriend Kenzie Werner in Vegas
- Sexy Flames Fans In Cowboy Hats Behind Oilers Bench During Game 5 Go Viral
- Kayla Nicole’s Cryptic Post Leads to More Travis Kelce Break Up Rumors
- Diddy’s Ex Sings About Having an Affair With NBA Player
More on Falcons WR Calvin Ridley's case …
• He was placed on NFI on Nov. 5. The bets happened from Nov. 23-28.
• It was a series of less-than-10 wagers from his cell phone, including 3-, 5- and 8-game parlays.
• He did bet on the Falcons, but never against them.
— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) March 7, 2022
In a series of tweets, Calvin Ridley expressed some remorse, but also showed some gratitude that the year off would give him some time to get back to 100% health.
After taking time off due to mental health issues last season, Ridley’s name was the subject of heavy trade rumors this offseason. But now, all that will have to wait at least one year.
Calvin Ridley has three days to appeal his suspension.