Florida capped their disastrous 2021 season in the most metaphorical way possible – with a loss to Gus Malzahn’s UCF squad in the Gasparilla Bowl on Thursday night.
It was the first time that an in-state Florida that wasn’t Miami or Florida State defeated Florida in a football game since the 1938 season.
UCF is the first in-state team, other than Miami or FSU, to beat Florida since 1938.
— Ryan Bass (@Ry_Bass) December 24, 2021
After the game was over, tempers boiled over with some Florida players. And some pushing and shoving went on between players from both teams.
— Jason Beede (@therealBeede) December 24, 2021
Thursday night marked the end of the Dan Mullen era in The Swamp – with Billy Napier set to take over for next season.
The Gators finished the year 6-7 after the loss to UCF despite high expectations coming into the season (and losing to Alabama on the last play of the game early in the year).
Not to diminish the job Guz Malzahn did this year in his first season at UCF. But Florida expects better, and it appears that Napier has his work cut out for him.
🔥 Hot from Side Action 🔥
- Jalen Rose Destroys Skip Bayless Over Bronny Comments
- One NFL Team is Getting More Disrespect in Betting Circles Than Any Other
- Kevin Durant Spotted in Saint Tropez Amid Retirement Talk
- Punt God Odds For Offensive Rookie of the Year Revealed
- Bet is Hitting An Astounding 82% During NFL Preseason