Someone isn’t playing by the rules.
A person who claims to represent Chicago Bears linebacker Roquan Smith is reportedly putting out feelers to other NFL teams to gauge interest in a potential trade. However Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reported today the unnamed individual isn’t certified by the NFL Players Association as an agent, and such contact would nonetheless be barred.
Smith hasn’t been granted permission by the Bears to speak with rival front offices about a trade, which makes this all the more troubling.
“Per a league source, a person purporting to represent Smith has been calling other teams in order to gauge potential trade interest.
It’s a problem for two reasons. First, the person isn’t an NFLPA-certified agent. He can’t represent Smith or any other player. Second, Smith has not received permission to seek a trade.
Basically, the person is setting up a potential tampering trap for any team that either engages in conversations regarding Smith or fails to promptly notify the Bears of the impermissible contact.”
Someone who claims to represent Roquan Smith is calling teams to gauge trade interest, even though the Bears haven't granted Smith permission to seek a trade. https://t.co/VnvC1VQfkw
— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) August 12, 2022
The 2018 first-round pick released a statement to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network on Tuesday in coordination with the trade request, saying the organization has “refused to negotiate in good faith”:
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) August 9, 2022
Roquan is in the final year of his rookie contract, and is trying to get something done before the season starts.
The Bears defensive star is scheduled to earn a $9.7 million base salary as part of a fifth-year option picked up by the Bears in May 2021.
🔥 Hot from Side Action 🔥
- Paige Spiranac Rates Each Sport Based Off How Hard They Party
- Photo: Scottie Pippen Spotted With Young Mystery Woman Amid His Ex Larsa Getting ‘Handsy’ With Marcus Jordan
- Liangelo Ball Pictured Kissing New Girlfriend Miss Nikkii Baby Amid Signing Non Guaranteed Contract with Hornets
- Source: Kliff Kingsbury’s Girlfriend Telling People They Are Building a New House in the Valley With an Epic Roof Top Party Pad
- Timeline Dispute Surfaces in Video of Former Las Vegas Raiders Wide Receiver Henry Ruggs Doing Drills